Electrified vehicles are powered by batteries and are undoubtedly the most expensive and essential part of the vehicle. These EV batteries are said to reduce carbon emissions by 30-40%, and that percentage is expected to steadily increase.
Keeping in mind the benefits of electric vehicles, Niti Aayog released a draft policy in April 2022 on battery swaps for two and three wheelers. This battery exchange policy helps reduce battery costs and promotes affordability. In addition, it will stimulate the sale of electric vehicles. Exchange solutions paved the way for standardization.
The benefits of battery swap solutions are numerous. The two- and three-wheeler markets dominate the electric vehicle market in India by almost 90%. This policy affects batteries, not the number of electric vehicles on the road. Undoubtedly, battery swap solutions will radically change the market and accelerate its growth.
Therefore, battery swap policies and their benefits are worth considering.
Learn about new developments in battery swap solutions over the past few years.
- In January 2022, Japanese automaker Honda Motor announced that it would offer battery swap services to electric three-wheelers through the Honda Electric Power Pack by June in Bangalore.
- In December 2021, the Bengaluru-based motorhome manufacturer announced its partnership with a real estate unicorn startup to offer battery swapping stations to an EV owner.
- In June 2021, Reliance Mobility LTD formed a venture between UK Energy BP Plc and Reliance Industries, which has co-worker tested battery swap stations at over 24 locations.
These companies and brands work transparently to access battery exchange policies as soon as possible. It is believed that the policy does not include the details of an investment plan. But it is only a temporary project, and the finalized force will be launched by March 31, 2025. With these battery swap solutions, the lower battery cost will be lowered by 20%.
In addition to this, India has the highest number of vehicles on the roads which is the major cause of traffic and congested roads. In this way, it becomes quite difficult to perform daily activities, especially waiting hours to recharge a battery to travel long distances.
In this case, swapping batteries is the easiest way to go. Plus, swapping only takes a minute and gives you a faster charging system that only takes 15 minutes to power your EV batteries.
The policy aims to:
- Decouple battery costs from electric vehicle purchases with Advanced Chemical Cell (ACC) batteries.
- EV users can swap batteries instead of charging at stations to gain flexibility.
- Ensure battery swap components work together without stifling innovation.
- Reduce risk in the battery swap ecosystem with policies and regulations.
- Create battery ecosystems where OEMs and battery suppliers can provide integrated services.
- Ensure batteries are managed throughout their life cycle, including maximizing their useful life and recycling them.
It will change the auto industry, but here’s what you need to know.
The 2022 budget proposed the policy
A battery swap policy for two-wheelers and electric three-wheelers was first proposed in February 2022. However, the auto industry and people were mixed on the idea. However, more than half the jury thought it could make India a greener place with fewer pollution problems.
Although the government was very impressed with the idea, the policy was not introduced immediately. There is no doubt that the proposal to exchange batteries for the station requires serious discussions and money. It’s a long-term goal, so we can’t do anything now. Therefore, it is expected that the battery swap solution will be in place by the end of the year.
Reduce carbon footprint
No doubt seeing traffic and congested roads can give you an idea of how much CO2 is being released every second. This is not only bad for the environment but also for people. Essentially, this policy aims to reduce approximately one million CO2 emissions and make the world carbon-free by 2070.
What is the policy?
The Ministry of Road Transport and Motorway Management has implemented this battery exchange policy. All you had to do was remove the old batteries and replace them with the new ones. However, maintainers are still working on this concept since they don’t want to use the same cell twice.
The weight of a battery will not exceed 10kg, and its capacity will be 1kw/hour, according to the new rule. It will therefore be easier for people to travel long distances and less stressful for delivery people.
The number of two- and three-wheelers sold by 2030 is expected to reach 30%. In addition, the government is giving more subsidies to electric vehicles.
Finally, the battery swap policy has broad implications that are not easy to implement. Although these schemes and programs take some time to implement, they can automatically increase the production capacity of the electric vehicle market.
The swap policy will have several benefits, including reducing charging time, time management, increasing EV production, and improving affordability. Therefore, this policy developed by the Indian market will undoubtedly serve as a power booster for electric vehicles.
The opinions expressed above are those of the author.
END OF ARTICLE
#Indias #battery #swap #policy #electric #vehicles